Stepfamilies are in some ways like first-time-round families. They are also, in many other ways, vastly different. Most people who become a part of a stepfamily are unprepared for the differences. These differences can include:
- The complexity of stepfamilies - there are many more family relationships in stepfamilies. There are likely to be grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings and a parent living outside the family with no links with other members of the stepfamily.
- The new couple’s different attitudes to child-rearing.
- Emotional upheavals. Family members may have experienced distress from the break-up of the previous marriage or relationship. Some may still be grieving for the family they have lost.
- Huge changes. All members of the stepfamily, including those living outside the family, must cope with the change and make a number of adjustments.
- More parents. There are more parent figures in a stepfamily and the parenting may be shared by someone outside the family.
- Different likes and dislikes. There is no common history and different family members may have different ideas about how things are done.
Read more from Relationships Australia
Sunday, June 24, 2012
Stepfamilies are different - Tips and Steps
Posted by johngawler at 5:53 PM